Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Fun (so far)

As our kids get older, I find it harder to take pictures of what is going on in our lives.  So far this summer, we have had a great time....but only have a handful of pictures to show for it.

 As the school year came to a close, the kids and I began to breathe a bit easier.  Fun times together became our main priority.  We spent the first 2 weeks of June relaxing....reading, bowling, and swimming....playing with our neighbor Carson.  Then on June 12th, we loaded up our van and headed to Orlando. This is a trip we take each year to visit the students at the Campus Outreach Summer Project.  Ten hours in the van....but it wasn't too bad this year.  Our car DVD player has been a life saver for me!!!
It is always a delight to see what God is doing in the students hearts.  Some are brand new Christian and others have been Christians for a while, but the hunger and excitement each of them have is so encouraging.  Bowe, our area director at UNC, has done an amazing job running the project.  

I tried to balance time with my kids and the students.  The kids and I hung out during the day...usually at the pool and then I would try to spend some time with students in the evenings after the kids went to bed. We also got to see our sweet friends - Mike, Jennifer, Avery and Keller Boland (who we have known for 10 years now - for 7 months they lived with us and for 2 years they were our next door neighbors).  Wow, we miss them, but what a refreshment to be around them again - for a short time.  

Living in a hotel for almost two weeks has its challenges, but I must say....it is SUPER nice to have a maid clean our room most days.  Too bad we didn't have a cook....

Something funny happened this year on the project:  I was reminded several time by the students that I am no longer 25.  I got ma'amed so many time I stopped correcting them....sigh!  BUT I experienced a first.  One of the students asked me if I was another student's mother!!!  WHAT!!???!!!  Okay...I get it...I get it...I'm getting older.  










One afternoon while the students were at work, our family was able to slip away to a fun water park.  It was a wonderful day of just being together.  




2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey, love the new layout! I hear ya about the getting older thing...one of the college-aged girls on my softball team occasionally slips up and calls me ma'am. Was that a few flecks of gray I see in Rup's hair?! I think Shane is going to be completely gray in about 5 years...it's coming fast!
Hope you are having a fun summer!

Lisa Christian said...

the college students at church call me ma'am too. Ouch. You are a beautiful mother! always wished I could have been around you more. How did you like homeschooling?