Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thanksgiving


I received a phone call from my Dad on Thanksgiving morning.  It did seem a bit odd as I was still in my pjs.  Usually Thanksgiving calls come after dinner.  As best he could, he let me know that my Grandma died earlier that morning.  It wasn't a shock as she was 94, but news like that is never easy to receive. I was in the front room of our home as I talked with my dad and when we got off the phone I sat down on her piano bench that is now in our home. At that moment,  I became overwhelmed with thankfulness…. thankfulness for her.  Tears flooded me as I sat amazed at my God who gave me such a gift.   She was my gift from heaven.  Things happen in this world that are so hard, and is so confusing – like death, disease.  We just don’t understand.  Yet if I am able to look close enough, in time I will see God’s hand loving me and providing for in the midst of that desperate time – maybe not at that moment…maybe not for years.  That was what Grandma was for me. 

As a little girl who lost her mommy, she stepped in the gap that was left and she loved me so well. When we moved to Georgia,  I was 7, but that didn't stop her... she pursued me by calling weekly.  My parents did a great job keeping us connected, too, making sure my sister and I went for a visit at least once ever year or two.  

I wish I could describe how she made me feel, but words fail me.  Of course, I couldn't verbalize this then, but as an adult, I have seen how God used her to love me when I needed to be loved.

For me, the fact that she past away on thanksgiving is really special.  I will forever remember on Thanksgiving how much of a special gift she was to me from God himself.  Sometime He shows us his love in human hands.  For me, it was her hands. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lisa, I know we haven't talked in awhile, but I cried when I read your blog about your grandmother. What a precious relationship! I also had a moment to read a little bit about your homeschooling your children and I know you must be wonderful at it. We are praying, considering what we will do in the next few years and I have to admit that I am terrified of homeschooling Eli (not so much the others). It is very encouraging to hear of how it is going with other homeschooling Moms. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi! Happy New Year!
Love you,
Anita

Jason and Amy said...

Beautiful post about your grandmama. It certainly struck a cord with me. Your story is so similar to mine. My grandparents died 2 years ago, 2 weeks apart, completely unexpected. It was so very difficult. I was leading a Beth Moore Bible study at church right after their passing. In her study she spent one lesson focusing on how God loves us through people here on earth. It made so much sense. My Grandmama and Granddaddy were the earthly presence of God's loving hand in my life.